21 June 2010

Father's Day Fiesta

(Daddy is in the background watching his MotoGP races.)
For Father's Day yesterday I surprised my dad with a Father's Day dinner. I made chicken fajitas. Please don't ridicule me for cooking meat. My father eats meat. It was Father's Day, not Kittie's day. That was Thursday. Yes, I hate handling raw meat but it was a gift.
I made the guacamole, pico de gallo, refried beans, and Mexican rice from scratch. I bought a seasoning for the chicken but I ended up adding too much water so I ditched it and made my own.

I don't like seasoning things that I can't taste test but that's the deal when I make meat. Because of that, I have gotten pretty good at smelling how much spice is right for the meat. The boys always like it so that's good.
Pico de Gallo Recipe:
5 Roma tomatoes
2 jalapenos
1/2 large onion
1/2 bunch cilantro
Juice from 1/2 lime

1. Finely dice tomatoes, jalapeno, and onion.
2. Chop cilantro, discard stems
3. Mix and squeeze over juice of lime

Guacamole recipe:
3 avocados
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2c pico de gallo
Juice from 1/2 lime

1. Mash avocados
2. Add garlic and pico ge gallo
3. Mix and add lime juice

Mexican Rice Recipe: 2 tbsp canola oil
1/2 large onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups long grain rice
1 can Rotel
1 large tomato, diced
3 cups water
1 vegetable bouillon cube
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon turmeric

1. Heat oil in pot
2. Add onion, cook for 3 minutes
3. Add garlic and rice
4. Cook for 3 minutes
5. Add Rotel, tomatoes, and 1/2 c water. Cook for 2 minutes.
6. Heat remaining 2 1/2c water and dissolve bouillon cube in it.
7. Add the water and spices.
8. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
9. Turn off heat and let sit covered for 15 minutes.


PLUS:
Oh my lord, look what I found for a dollar each at Target!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(*skint*)
Wolverine, will you be my husband? I don't mind your claws baby and I'll just pretend you're 6'3" instead of 5'3." We can make babies with claws and fangs and sideburns and I'll cook for you on Father's Day....or every day.

Now that that's over.....back to reality....where I only know one guy who even reminds me of Logan and he's short but he has no powers so.....

3 comments:

  1. Ooh I love fajitas! And to answer your question, I like yoga classes more because I feel more motivated than when I do it on my own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wouldnt it be fabulous to have Wolverine as a husband!!! hehe

    mm and fiesta time is the best time! especially with ur papa!

    and thanks for ur comment on my wisdom teeth btw. omg i NEEDED the painkillers otherwise i would probably be crying and sleepless and in so much pain. but i respect if u dont wanna take them. the dentist did a really good job cuz i only had to have a day of smoothies.. but i could totally chew.. i think i just wanted to play it safe. i woke up right now really sore cuz he had to remove some of my bottom jaw to pull out the two bottom teeth, so i also have a bit of the chipmunk face going on.. but other than that its not too too bad.

    im so praying for you for friday when u get urs out. i will say that a cold fruit smoothie REALLY helps afterwards!!! and even tho they say use ice packs.. u may find heat works better. good luck love

    xoxo <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. if anyone ridicules you for cooking meat I will give 'em a piece of my mind ;) I think its incredibly SWEET that you cooked a meal that your dad loves. In fact, I had the same meal for my fathers day :)

    everything looks SO good - especially the guac.

    ReplyDelete