29 March 2011
Tummy Time Tuesday_SF Magick Squares
I'm the Magick Square Queen. It's one of the first things I ever made well, and I kept making them...verrry well. I don't want to consider the calories nor the sugar content of a "real" magick square.
(I spell it with a "k" because when I was first baking at age 12 I also believed myself a witch and dabbled in wicca and sorcery and the like....the "k" is common in wiccan texts.)
Embarrassing childhood phases aside.....remember Gollum Grub? Probably not, it was one of my very first posts and that was a spin off of my Magick Square recipe. Here is another that is vegan and sugar free unlike any I have made before...just as delicious.
1c oat bran
1/2c rolled oats
1 mashed banana
1 (14oz) can unsweetened coconut milk
1c unsweetened Baker's chocolate, chopped (this may be too much for you, add other chocolates due to your taste)
1c chopped dates
1 1/3c flaked unsweetened coconut
1 c chopped nuts (I like a mix of pecans and walnuts)
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Mix oat bran and rolled oats. Set aside 1/3c coconut.
2. Mash banana and heat in microwave 30 seconds, add to oat mixture and combine as well as you can.
3. Press into bottom of 9x13in pan.
4. Pour 1/3 can of coconut milk on top and spread to even out.
5. Combine 1c flaked coconut, chocolate, dates, and nuts in a bowl, sprinkle half the mixture on top.
6. Pour another 1/3 of the can of coconut milk on top and spread that out.
7. Sprinkle next half of the coconut, date, nut mixture on top of coconut milk layer.
8. Pour the rest of the coconut milk on top, smooth, and finish with last 1/3c of flaked coconut.
9. Bake for 25 minutes or until the coconut browns.
10. Cool for at least two hours before cutting.
11. Store in refridgerator!
These are just as good as the ones I have made for years with real ingredients!