23 July 2010

Until the Seasons change....

...I'll be waiting.

For breakfast I am still working on having different things. (I have a feeling this will end soon. I miss oatmeal.)
I tried out an old classic. "Egg in a hole," or whatever you call it.
The verdict? As with the trying of savory oats, it seems I prefer sweet in the morning. I needed fruit...

You want to know a truth? I hate summer.
I loathe the season with every ounce of my being. I hate the scalding sun on my skin and the air that is so thick with humidity I feel like I'm drowning when I breathe.
I like produce. My appreciation ends there and it isn't complete appreciation because my favorite fruits are those of winter, fall and summer or just winter. Take the pomegranate. My favorite fruit. I do not enjoy their juice I enjoy their fruits.
I need the sun to be a friend, not an enemy. A ray of light should be welcoming not torturous.
I miss fall leaves, long sleeves, jeans, leggings, the smell and the tingle of your your nose reddened by the chill.
I miss the flavors; spices, orange, cranberry, peppermint, and squash make the perfect seasons.
Because of this I burn autumnal candles every morning in rotation. One pumpkin spice, one apple cinnamon. I stay indoors and I wear autumn colors on my eyes:
I eat cinnamon on damn near everything. Including this peach:
I added the peach to some Greek yogurt topped with my medicine. Medicine? Yes. Autumn butter. I made it myself and I have the recipe for you.
Because I can't find pumpkin puree anywhere on earth, I present to you
Autumn Butter
:

2/3 c unsweetened apple sauce
1/3 c butternut squash puree*
1/3 c pear puree*
1/3 c maple syrup
3 T apple juice

1 tsp pumpkin spice
.5 tsp cinnamon

-Mix all ingredients in a medium sized sauce pan and bring to a boil.
-Reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes, stirring often.
-Keep an eye on it or it will get lumpy and burnt.
-Turn off heat and pour into glass jam jars.
-Process in boiling water for 10 minutes.
-Cool and keep refrigerated.

*can be found in the baby food section.

All the flavors of fall in a simple, versatile spread.

For lunch I mashed up some banana and cinnamon (surprise):
Spread it on a tortilla with crunchy peanut butter:
Added cottage cheese to one fourth of it:
Served it with cucumbers:
And scooped up the extra with carrot sticks:
(Have you ever had pb and carrot sticks? It's one of the only ways I'll eat pb.)

Also, it's official, I hate peanut butter. I always have. I could only eat crunchy because the crunch made me forget about the taste. I just don't like peanuts. I decided to see if that hatred was still in affect today. Don't count on seeing a peanut butter on here that isn't frozen Dark Chocolate Dreams.

Another note: If you pick up bananas and this happens:
...you can be pretty sure they're ripe.

I had a snackity this afternoon of iced (decaf) coffee and my second favorite Kashi granola bar:
I love that they have whole almonds!
Okay guys, my dinner was incredible and massive and messy. I'll show you, but be warned the lighting was not my friend. I spent so long trying and trying but the dusk was being evil and I had to resort to his partner in crime, Mr. Flash.
But look at the layers!
Whole wheat bun, laughing cow cheese wedge, spinach, tomato, caramelized onion, and a big 'ol portobello mushroom.
It was top heavy.
I paired it with okra and sweet potato fries. Baked for 20 minutes at 400 degrees (a little too long this time?)

For dessert:
Frozen yogurt, banana, banana bread. I considered banana soft serve instead of frozen yogurt but decided I might go into a banana coma.....
That dessert is actually deconstructed and waiting for me in the freezer/fridge.
It's motivation because I can't eat it until I hang up/fold three baskets of laundry. Way to slack, Kittie, way to slack.

4 comments:

  1. omg me too, when i had the eggs in a hole i was thinking "something off, i need something sweet, this just isnt saftisfying me!"

    haha those look like banana fingers.. almost like ur fingers turned into banana tops.

    omg and the tortilla snackage looks incredible. the peanut butter is extra crunchy, mmm wish i had some more tortillas in the fridge!!

    xoxo <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer sweet in the morning too, although your egg looks good! And I looove those kashi bars. Just bought some yesterday actually!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you always seem to have a different type of bar everyday: Kashi, Luna, or Larabar. You've inspired me to buy some and they're actually really good. I've never tried them before so thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think there's anything cinnamon doesn't belong in! It's great for stabilizing blood sugar - keep on sprinkling!

    ReplyDelete