31 December 2010

Christmas Confessions

I'm an Atheist. I'm not a kid anymore. I sleep just fine on Christmas Eve. My parents announced their divorce almost 2 years ago, it still isn't finalized and it is tearing my family apart. So...

  • I didn't celebrate Christmas for the birth of Christ.
  • I didn't celebrate Christmas for the presents.
  • I didn't celebrate Christmas for the family time.
  • I didn't even celebrate Christmas for the food.
  • I celebrated because it's cultural.
Part of me wanted to stay on campus and not even come home. A lot of me wanted to spend it with the friends I have there. I came home out of obligation.

I didn't even photograph my food. What is the worth of this holiday? Why do we prepare such a large meal? In my case, to pretend that the four of us (Mom, Dad, Brother, and I) are somehow still living like we did when we were in the same house.

Christmas eve was "Christmas" at my mom's house and Christmas day was spent at my dad's house (where I grew up.)

I got a lot of presents.
I even got a DSLR. (Cannon Rebel [Which I am incredibly thankful for])
You caught my lie, I totally photographed my food. How could I not with a brand new baby Rebel?
But I still wasn't sure the drive was worth it to spend two days in December with my distraught family.

I came home to find out that I'm suddenly allergic...
...to my best friend?
No, I came home to spend the snow day....
With my best friend (on two legs.)
Alright, it was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment