12 May 2010

A Muffin makes some Bloody Crumpets

I am planning a tea party for my 19th birthday this June and I will be posting the tester recipes here on my blog. Today I made crumpets for the first time in my entire life. Today, as a matter of fact, I ate a crumpet for the first time in my life. A bit over a year ago I was planning a solo tea party and wanted to make these mysterious English snacks. I made a special trip to the store for bread flour. I got home to realize I didn't have crumpet rings. I gave up and made extra scones for my crumpet-less tea party. I was recently rummaging around our trinket drawer in search of our apple slicer when I realized what we do have: pancake rings! I figured a pancake ring is pretty much just a crumpet ring aimed at Americans. Ever since then I have had an itch to make these treats.

You do not split crumpets like an English Muffin because the holes in the top form nice crevices for melted butter or clotted cream. Mine did not have that many holes at all...so I split mine.


Roll Call:
1/2 c warm water
2 tsp honey (or raw sugar for tha veganz)
1 tbsp active dry yeast
2 1/2 c bread flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 c milk (or soy milk)

NOTE: This makes 16 crumpets, I halved it. I have no need for 16 crumpets...until the partay!


Get out a griddle/frying pan/whatever you have and grease it. Grease your crumpet rings (pancake rings) or cookie cutters and place them on the griddle. Heat the whole thing on a medium/low flame. Let that margarine get all melt-y and bubbly.


Put the warm water in a large mixing bowl and add the honey or sugar.
Sprinkle yeast on top of the mixture and wait 5 minutes or until the yeast becomes bubbly/frothy.


Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.


Drop about 3 tablespoons of the mixture into 3-inch rings. For different sized rings just make sure you can spread it out until the batter touches all sides. This doesn't need to be too full. I over filled some which ended in overcooking the bottoms. Cook slowly at a medium/low heat. Take your time and be patient for the best crumpets.
Are you worried about Mr. Teddy Bear in the back? So am I.


I figured that these would swell up like a cake and be a horror to get out of the rings. To my surprise, they actually shrink away from the rings.


The funkier shaped devices proved more difficult to handle, as I could have predicted, so I used this little guy to go around the tricky parts.


When the tops are covered in bubbles (this never happened to me, so I don't have a picture) remove the rings and flip. Cook the tops for about 1 minute.


This is what the sides should look like. The cookie cutters yielded more cake-like sides.


Look! My tea pot has a bubble for its handle hole! hehe.

So...Mr. Teddy Bear died a sad little crumbly death. I knew he had just a few too many nooks and crannies for anything good to come out of it.

I am definitely making these for my tea party but I will only use the circular and heart-shaped rings because they turned out the best. Heart-shaped crumpets are pretty much my new favorite thing.

(We are Muffins)
(These are The Bloody Crumpets)

No comments:

Post a Comment