11 May 2010

Toadstools: to cure the shivers


Okay, I lied. I didn't mean to lie, but I lied. Sloppy joes are not next. They are planned for later this week and will still appear then. What is next? Toadstools! Alright, they are really just delicious almond chocolate chip cookies that I have named Toadstools. I call them Toadstools (how many times can I use this fabulous word?) because I am basing the names of my recipes on literary works. This name comes from one of my favorite books as a child, "Days with Frog and Toad." I did not expect to use kid books but when the name fits...I go for it. In one story Toad is afraid and Frog asks him, "Don't you like to be scared? Don't you like to feel the shivers?" These cookies are to cure the shivers. They won't fail you.

The loot:
1/3 c homemade sweet vanilla almond butter or any other nut butter
2 tbsp canola oil (I add a bit more because my homemade nut butter lacks oil)
1 c sugar
1/3 c almond milk (I had soy milk but any milk will do.)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 c flour
1 c rolled oats
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 c vegan chocolate chips
1/2 c sliced almonds (or any chopped nut of your choice)

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees
Grease your cookie sheets, kiddos! This is an important step. You may use any oil or margarine.

Whisk together the first five ingredients until well combined.

Once they are well blended take out another bowl. Combine the flour, oats, salt and baking soda in the new bowl. I used a fork to mix this part up. If you are like me, you will also add a couple dashes of cinnamon to the dry mixture. If you aren't like me your cookies will still be delicious.

Add about 1/3 of the dry mixture to the wet mixture. Mix until combined.

Continue this process until all of your ingredients are incorporated.

I now add the nuts and then the chocolate chips.

I use this little guy to mix in the goodies so I can scrape down the messy sides and get all the ingredients nice and familiar with each other.

Drop by the spoonful onto your greased cookie sheet.

Bake for 8 minutes. If you are used to baking with dairy the cookies may not look done at 8 minutes but they are! Take them out and let the little babies cool on the pan for about 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack or eating.

If you have more than one batch make sure you scrape down the cookie guts from your pan and re-grease it. You will thank me for this later.

I have made this recipe with peanut butter, rice milk, chopped pecans, walnuts, or peanuts. The recipe is versatile so have fun with the ingredients. I am sure sunflower butter would work well also!

Now, curl up with a cold glass of soy milk and some of these cookies and read "Days with Frog and Toad" or the book that is your own childhood favorite.



No comments:

Post a Comment