16 May 2010

Sunday is for Cleaning out the Kitchen


So, when I stumbled into the kitchen this morning all sleepy-eyed, I saw this:
and I said, "EEP! I must eat them NOW!" So I hurriedly put half of one into my morning oatmeal and realized I still had 1 1/2 ripe bananas that needed using.
What do I do? I pull out my go-to vegan banana muffin recipe. Ripe bananas are a good excuse for muffins.
I halved the recipe because that is the amount of nanners I needed to use up. Since I made the rash decision of eating half of one in my breakfast I also had to use a half of one of these beautiful babies:
This is what bananas should look like.

The inventory:
4 ripe bananas
1/2 c maple syrup (I use sugar free)
1/2 c vegetable oil
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cardamom
3/4 tsp salt
2 1/2 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda

Heat your oven to 350 degrees and grease up a tin for 12 muffins. Then take your bananas in a bowl and mash 'em up with a fork. Make this baby food lookin' mish mash.

Mix in the oil, syrup, salt, cinnamon, and cardamom.

Add the flour, baking soda, and the baking powder.

Fill up your muffin tins. You can fill these up pretty much to the rim but don't go over. They do grow but they are good at understanding personal space.

Bake for 20-25 minutes. They will be slightly browned but not as much as a dairy muffin so don't overcook. Let them cool for a bit until you can easily pop them out of the tin and store in an airtight container.

Those bananas were not the only things in my kitchen that needed using up. I made bread earlier this week and we had a stump left that was ever so slightly stale. I decided to cut it up and make croutons while my oven was still hot.
You will need:
Margarine or oil
Garlic powder or minced
Oregano
Rosemary
Thyme
Whatever else you like
Preheat oven to 300 degrees

Cut off the crust of your bread, slice and cube it.
-In a skillet, melt about three tablespoons of Smart Balance per every five slices of bread.
-Add about two teaspoons of garlic powder or one of minced garlic and turn off the heat.
-Cover the bread cubes in mixture and then pour about one teaspoon of each seasoning into a large freezer bag.
-Mix everything in the bag. Pour the bread cubes out on an ungreased cookie sheet.
-Pop in the oven for about 35-40 minutes.
-Let them cool on the cookie sheet before transferring to an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment