01 August 2010

Square.

...I may be a square but at least I can bake?
Figgy muffins (scroll down for recipe.)

So last night after I posted about how adventuresome I was I got a phone call. It was My BGFF he wanted to hang out. It was 10:15....bedtime. Panic.

"No...I need to sleep."
"Sleep when you're dead."
"I can't. What about tomorrow?"
"I have to work then, we'll go to Taco Bell and eat. You'll forget about sleep."

(Oh dear God, no! Eating at this hour?! Eating Taco Bell at this hour?)
"I'm sorry, I really wouldn't be any fun, I'm too tired. Next week?"

And now we have plans for Friday. There was a sigh of relief...then something else. I felt guilty for it. I felt like a square and not in a good way.

That's what new days are for, right? Well, I started mine off right:
Apple pie pancakes...
...topped with nuked cinnamon apples and apple sauce mixed with maple syrup.

Apple Pie Pancakes:
  • 1/3 c Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1/2 t baking powder
  • Cinnamon
  • 1 egg white
  • 1/2 med sized apple, diced
  • 1 T raisins
  • 1 t Vanilla
  • Sweetener
  • 1/4 c + 1 T water
Mix the first six ingredients until combined and then add remaining ingredients.
Cook on a griddle or in a non stick pan.
Right after breakfast I wanted to bake and I had some figs to use up so I concocted this little beauty:
They are sweet and moist with little figgy seeds sprinkled all in the muffins.

For 12 Fig Muffins:
  • 3/4 c Whole Wheat flour
  • 1 T baking powder
  • 1/2 t baking soda
  • 1/8 t salt
  • 1 c mashed figs (I used the food processor)
  • 1/3 c packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 c unsweetened apple sauce
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1/2 t vanilla
  • 1/8 t nutmeg
  • 1/8 t ground cloves
  • 1 t cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Mix dry and wet ingredients separately.
3. Add wet to dry.
4. Spoon into 12 greased muffin tins.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

I had this acorn squash for dinner.
Before roasting I sprinkled the squash with curry powder. Try it out. It was really good. The sweetness from the squash pairs nicely with the savory/ sweet of the curry.

2 comments:

  1. I go to sleep at around 10-10:30 as well, so I'm pretty sure I would have declined the invitation to go out and eat too. I used to think that maybe I should push myself to be more spontaneous and open, but then I started to wonder... if I really wasn't going to enjoy it, just how hard should I push? I used to be quite a wild child when I was younger, and I'd stay out until 1 every night, but now I mellowed out, and I prefer the 6-10 life. Nothing wrong with that, I think... I'm content for now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. FIGGY MUFFINS FIGGY MUFFINS FIGGY MUFFINS!! OMG! i want in on the action, actually i will be soon since my figs are almost ripe on my tree and i KNOW im gonna make some figgy muffins hehe <3

    ReplyDelete